Latest Flow Dry Technology News
Wednesday 3rd February 2016
When you start talking about absorbents and desiccants it can be a pretty dry subject!
No pun intended! But when we say "desiccant bag" to people on the street, they generally look at you as if to say "What?", then we say "silica gel packs - like the one's you find in the box with new shoes" and they go "Ohhh those drying bags!". Even within the industry there's a certain lack of awareness about the finer details of what's inside those little white bags. After all their just little white bags right... they're all the same, aren't they?
NO! Not All Little White Silica Gel Bags are Made Equal!
The truth is that they are not all the same. Here's just a few of the things that can vary, and have a large impact on the way the desiccant bag works:
- The Bag Material - what's the outer bag made of? Tyvek, paper, cloth, composites?
- The Sealing Mechanism - how is the bag sealed?
- The Desiccant Material - what's in the bag? silica gel, clay, activated materials, composites, molecular sieve?
- The Manufacturing Process - how was the product manufactured, which will impact on quality, reliability and cost.
- Shipping - how was the product delivered to you? which again impacts on quality, etc.
For us, these are the things we think about every day. But we realise that there's just not good information out there and so some clients mistakingly think that one supplier is as good as the next. Well we've decided to help you make the right choice of desiccants by demystifying what we do. We're world leaders, based on three continents with over 70 years of experience so we're more than happy to share our knowledge. That's why you'll have noticed that recently we've been writing a lot more "informative and helpful" articles on our blog and we're extending the information you can find for free on our website:
The image above shows our webpage on Sorbatech and demonstrates how we're adding a lot more helpful content to our site so that you have the right information you need to choose the best moisture control solution for your needs.
Looking For Some Really Useful Information About Silica Gel, Molecular Sieves and Desiccants?
The following articles are a great way to help you get started:
- The dangers of cheap desiccants in air conditioning systems - a case study
- A good overview of the different ways to seal, dry and protect goods and machinery
- Understanding the pros and cons of using silica gel
- Silica Gel versus Molecular Sieve - which is best?
- Terminology: What do "adsorbent", "absorbent", and "desiccant" mean? What's the difference?
- How do you know if your silica gel is actually functional? It might be a waste of money!
- 6 things you can do to make your silica gel bags last longer
- Understanding the ways water can ruin your product, reduce shelf life and lead to expensive repairs
We're making this information available to the public because we want to help you make the right choice when it comes to selecting an adsorbent solution to moisture control. Feel free to use the share buttons below to share this information with anyone who may benefit. We know lots of startup companies and manufacturers who have overlooked the role desiccants can play in their product and packaging, or who've gone for the cheapest option only to discover they've wasted money. At least now with these articles, people can make better informed choices. Be part of the desiccant revolutions and help us spread the knowledge!
Free Desiccant/Adsorbent Consultation
But best of all whether you're an existing customer or just deciding to invest in product and packaging protecting moisture control solutions for the first time, our team of experts are ready to answer your questions... simply get in contact today.
Posted by John Logan at 11:50