Desiccant Supply in Sealed Metal Drums
The standard in the industry for desiccant shipping containers is a 55 gallon sealed drum. A 4 mil poly bag is inserted inside the drum to protect the desiccant bags from contamination and moisture. The desiccant bags are then bulk packed into the 4 mil poly bag inside the drum container. A recent trend has been to package 50 desiccant bags inside a 3 mil poly bag to allow easy removal and handling. The 3 mil bag is then placed inside the 55 gallon drum for shipment. Past experience shows using 55 gallon drums provides the best protection for the desiccant bags. Each 55 gallon drum will hold between 1000 and 1200 desiccant bags. It is also the most cost effective method to ship desiccant product.
- Nylon/poly laminate and Foil laminate sacks can be used inside the drum as opposed to poly sacks.
- Both nylon/poly and foil are superior to poly for moisture and puncture protection.
- Nylon/poly or foil bags are useful when the product is removed from the drum for extended periods of time before the product is used and when puncture resistance is necessary.
- A typical nylon/poly bag is about 20 times more moisture resistant than a standard poly bag.
- A typical foil bag is 500 times more moisture resistant than a standard poly bag.
- The desiccant bags inside a sealed metal drum have a one year shelf life if the seal has not been broken or tampered with.
- This proven package is available in 2 sizes.
- A large 55 gallon drum holding approximately 25 sacks with 40 desiccant bags each for approximately 800-1000 total parts.
- A small 30 gallon drum holding approximately 12 sacks with 40 desiccant bags each for a total of 300-480 bags.
- The Photo to the right shows a large 55 gallon and a small 30 gallon drum.
Comparing Metal Drum Lining Bags
|Bag Type||M.V.T.R*||Compared to Poly|
|Nylon/Poly||0.2 MVTR||Approx 20 times better|
|Foil||0.003 MVTR||Approx 500 times better|
*M.V.T.R. stands for "Moisture Vapor Transmission Rate", a measure of the passage of gaseous H2O through a barrier. It is also known as "W.V.T.R." or "Water Vapor Transmission Rate". The lower the number the better.
Advantages of Metal Drums:
- Large metal drums are least expensive because they are recycled from the raw material supplier.
- Metal drums provide good sealing protection for transportation and storage.
Useful Information about Metal Drums:
- Because of their size not every facility may be able to handle them.
- Check before hand if you have the facility to dispose of them.
- Metal drums can be recycled. Transportation to the recycling facility should be considered.
- Metal drums must be banded on pallets and pallets must be disposed.